Gary Bell (Ryan Cartwright), a savant with autism working with a covert operation known as the “Alphas,” whose members each exhibit superhuman abilities.
Gary has been diagnosed with high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (more commonly known as ASD). He ranks 32 on the CARs Scale – the mild end of Autism Spectrum Disorders.
Considered a “human antenna,” Gary has the ability (transduction) to see all electromagnetic radiation/electromagnetic wavelengths and process information as fast as a computer. Consequently, he can hack into cellphone signals, television broadcasts, and WiFi frequencies. He can also find the wavelengths of non-electric objects like trees.
Some points of interest about Gary:
- Microwave towers interfere with his abilities
- He goes to bed at 9:30pm. If he misses his schedule, he stays up all night. He awakes each morning at 7:42am.
- Gary can not drive a car, but wants to.
- He can block telepathic signals.
- Gary finds it difficult to lie. He is trying to master that social skill, however, by starting with little white lies.
- He is susceptible to doS attacks used by hackers.
- He can’t read Nokia signals.
Along with others of his kind (“Alphas”), Gary uses his superhuman abilities to thwart crimes committed by those bad Alphas who use their gifts for evil. Their nemesis is a group known as “Red Flag” who recruits others with special abilities to work for their criminal causes.
Dr. Lee Rosen (David Strathairn), a neurologist/psychiatrist heads the Alpha team under the auspices the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, a criminal investigative arm of the U.S. Department of Defense. Other Alpha team members include:
- Cameron Hicks (Warren Christie), former Marine with “Hyperkinesis” who has super reflexes and timing.
- Rachel Pirzad (Azita Ghanizada), a former CIA linguist with “Heightened Senses.” She can isolate any one of her five senses and heighten their abilities. So she can improve her eyesight, hearing, taste, smell and touch at will (but only one sense at a time).
- Nina Theroux (Laura Mennell), diagnosed with “Hyper Induction” that gives her the ability to bend a person’s will. They can not refuse anything she verbally instructs them to do.
- Bill “Mean Bill” Harken (Malik Yoba), a rude, former FBI agent diagnosed with Enhanced Strength – he can control his fight or flight adrenal mechanism. Although strong, Bill can’t sustain his power for long, due to exhaustion.
- Kat (Erin Way), a free-spirited female with the ability to learn any skill at a glance, but her memory will only last about a month, at which time, her mind dumps the information she acquired during that month, but she still retains the skills. She uses a video camera to capture the events of the last month so she can keep track of what happened to her.
See also: External Link – Gary Bell Video @ You Tube