DeGRASSI JR. HIGH/SYN/1987-91 (Wheelchair)
Maya Goldberg (Kyra Levy), a kind, caring, confident Jewish teenager who attended Degrassi Jr. High School. She was born with Spina Bifida and moved about on a wheelchair.
Her character appeared on DJH from September 1987 to June 1989 and later on the sequel series DEGRASSI HIGH SCHOOL from September 1989 to June 1991.
In the sequel series, DEGRASSI: THE NEXT GENERATION characters who found themselves in wheelchairs included: Nadia Yamir, Jimmy Brooks, Trina Brooks, Mr. Ehl and Margaret Matlin.
- Nadia Yamir (Mony Yassir), confined to a wheelchair, she attended the DeGrassi Community School and was a member of the Yearbook Committee and Chess Club on season 2 and 3 of DEGRASSI: THE NEXT GENERATION/2001-20015.
- James “Jimmy” Brooks (Aubrey Graham), a black graduate of the Class of 2007, attended DeGrassi Community School. Born September 1987, he was a school basketball star until a shooting at school left him crippled in Season 4. He was shot in the back (by Rick) leaving Jimmy paralyzed from the waist down. He earned the nickname “Houdini on Wheels.”
- Trina Brooks (Terra Vnesa), the fiancée of Jimmy Brooks. Trina was paralyzed from a fall while rock climbing. She met Jimmy Brooks in . Later, Jimmy proposed marriage and she accepted.
- Mr. Ehl (Roger McKeen), disabled mechanics teacher at Degrassi Community School. He navigated via a motorized wheelchair.
- Margaret Matlin (Spirit Synott in season 11), has multiple sclerosis and uses a wheelchair, but is able to walk with crutches. She is the mother of Maya and Kaite Matlin. To relieve pain, Margaret takes Codeine pills. The roll of Margaret was portrayed by actress Kate Hewlett beginning in season 12.